Since the United States Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade on June 24, 2022, the abortion industry, abortion advocates, and their political allies have increasingly demonized their primary competition: pregnancy centers. Through a disinformation campaign, abortion proponents have stoked anger, vandalism, and violence against these pregnancy centers. It’s time to set the record straight.
PREGNANCY CENTERS IN MASSACHUSETTS
Pregnancy centers are life-affirming non-profit organizations committed to aiding women facing unexpected pregnancies. They are part of a nationwide network of centers throughout the United States that provide accurate and thorough information on all pregnancy options and offer a wide array of services to women so they can make informed decisions about their pregnancy. In addition, centers provide ongoing care, education, and support so families can successfully parent and ascribe to the principle of “loving them both.” Pregnancy centers:
- Are comprised of several different service models that include medical clinics, doctor’s offices, resource centers, and professional counseling centers.
- Operate 30 centers located throughout Massachusetts.
- Receive no state or federal funding.
- Provide all of their services at no cost through private donations.
- Annually distribute over $1.3 million in material resources.
- Have a 95% satisfaction rating from clients.
SERVICES FOR PREGNANT WOMEN
Pregnancy centers offer a wide variety of free services for pregnant women, which can include:
- Lab-quality pregnancy tests.
- Pregnancy options information including parenting, adoption, and abortion.
- Ultrasounds for pregnancy confirmation.
- Consultation with a licensed medical professional and/or licensed counselors.
- Testing for Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Infections.
- Material Resources including diapers, clothing, layette items, baby equipment, formula, food and gift cards.
- Parenting education.
- Housing referrals.
PROFESSIONALISM AND EXCELLENCE
Pregnancy Centers approach their mission with professionalism, respect, confidentiality, compassion, and excellence. Standards and services include:
- Clients are served without regard to sex, race, income, nationality, religious affiliation, disability, or other circumstances.
- Centers offering medical services function under the authority of a Massachusetts licensed physician who is in good standing with the Massachusetts Board of Registration.
- Medical services, including ultrasounds, are conducted by trained and licensed medical professionals. Pregnancy tests are administered in accordance with all applicable laws.
- Centers adhere to HIPAA regulations and only disclose client information as required by law or when necessary to protect the client or others against imminent harm.
- Clients receive medically accurate information about pregnancy, fetal development, pregnancy options, sexually transmitted infections and abortion pill reversal.
- Pregnancy centers provide a safe environment by screening all volunteers and staff who work with clients.
- Staff, board members, and volunteers receive appropriate training on professional operating standards.
- Community-based support of pregnancy centers is offered nationwide through 15,000 staff and 54,000 volunteers, including 10,200 licensed medical professionals (staff and volunteers).
- 74% of Americans – across political lines – support the work of pregnancy centers.
- 80% of Americans feel elected officials should publicly denounce attacks on pregnancy centers, and should prosecute the vandalism and violence against pregnancy centers.