National news has been focused on Virginia's promotion of infanticide. Or on New York, where Governor Cuomo just signed extremist legislation to increase abortions in his state.
Here in Massachusetts, however, we have our own pro-abortion law lined up. The ROE ACT removes parental notification, abortion waiting periods, and the requirement that late-term abortions are done in a hospital.
We have to ask: Hey, pro-woman pro-choicers - what happened to safe, legal, RARE?
No matter what side of the political or ideological spectrum you fall on, the Roe Act is extreme and dangerous.
What can you do? First, sign the petition! Let Governor Baker know, Massachusetts will not stand for endangering our most vulnerable members of society. Second, get educated. Review the quick facts below.
- ROE REMOVES out all parental involvement - children will be able to go to an abortion clinic for any reason, without parents being notified. This promotes sexual abuse, gives predators a free pass,
- ROE GIVES ABORTIONISTS CARTE BLANCHE TO KILL - their decision "may be exercised in the light of all factors-physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the person's age-relevant to the well-being of the patient." In other words, if you feel that the cost of college is a strain on your family, and you tell the doctor, you can get an abortion up to birth. This means, if the doctor decides you have a genetic risk for diabetes or for a child born with a disability, abort at any level of development.
- ROE LEGALIZES INFANTICIDE and removes the requirement to save the life of 7, 8, or 9 month old child who survives the abortion. If the baby is born during a late term procedure, alive, he or she can be killed there on the operating table.
- ROE WILL MAKE ABORTIONS PERFORMABLE OUTSIDE OF A HOSPITAL. THIS EFFECTIVELY LEGALIZES BACK ALLEY ABORTIONS.
- ROE WILL REQUIRE THAT "Healthy Start" funds to be used to pay for abortions on middle-class women that do not have Medicaid/Masshealth. Ironically, "Healthy Start" is a program begun to lower infant mortality rates, and serve underprivileged and at-risk mothers.
These provisions in our already radically liberal abortion laws promote abortion. These provisions remove the few common sense protective restrictions Massachusetts still holds to protect the woman's health. These provisions fly in the face of the good-faith pro-choice stance, and your voice will make a difference in defeating this legislation.