Sofia Infante, Communications Intern
[Director's note: 40 Days began as a religious campaign, and we invite all of our religious members to join on that basis. But the act of abortion is a human rights issue, not a religious one. Many of our secular advocates also participate, and we encourage everyone and anyone to follow their passionate example of outreach and vigil, with or without prayer, during a 40 Days Campaign.]
This year I am looking forward to participating in my first 40 Days for Life, and am grateful MCFL has sponsored the campaign in Massachusetts.
This mission-based campaign reaches women-in-need at ground-zero, and directs people’s attention to the impact of abortion in their own communities. The 40-day campaign, including vigils and witness at an abortuary, highlight the need and offer a life-affirming solution. Here are five reasons why I am already counting down the days until next year’s 40 Days for Life:
- 40 Days fosters a greater sense of community and a shared feeling of responsibility for our neighbor’s well-being
- Throughout the 40 Days Campaign, participants are encouraged to reach out to their communities by helping with media outreach and coordinating with local church leaders. People are also encouraged to wear wristbands or plant signs in their yards, helping participants identify one another and realize that we are not alone in our desire and efforts to end abortion.
40 Days encourages us to see the far-reaching effects of all our actions and decisions, even the most private ones.
- Participants are asked to focus on specific prayer intentions, such as praying for men and women burdened by past abortions and abortion providers. By drawing attention to those who are at times left out of the conversation on abortion, we realize how one act has the power to impact countless lives in innumerably destructive ways. Too many painful situations with no seemingly justifiable explanations, have their roots in small, private acts that forwent charity for personal gain.
40 Days pushes us outside of our comfort zones.
- A 40-day nonstop prayer vigil is held outside a Planned Parenthood center or an abortion facility in each community. This peaceful demonstration is a concrete way of showing up and offering a powerful witness to life, while extending an outstretched hand to all those who are in need. Sometimes, simply realizing and recognizing that someone cares about your personal pain is all it takes to look at it from a more hopeful perspective.
40 Days recommits you to authentic life-saving action.
- It’s too easy to become discouraged working to advance a cause that is consistently misrepresented by those in power. Being labelled a host of offensive things simply because you assert that human life begins at conception and that a human life is invaluable, feels unfair because it is. Fighting a battle with those who refuse to acknowledge basic facts and all too-often resort to ad hominem attacks, requires great dedication, which is invigorated when we notice that others share our commitment to this all-important cause.
40 Days helps us realize that victory requires a conversion of hearts and minds on both sides.
- The pro-life movement has been making significant strides in educating people about the reality of abortion. However, too many people are aware of the gruesome and violent nature of abortion, and yet still affirm that a woman’s choice is more valuable than a human life. Honest conversations, compelling scientific and philosophical arguments, and continued engagement with those on the other side, are extremely important, but we shouldn’t diminish the importance of prayer and continual personal conversion in bringing about positive and life-affirming change in our communities, one person at a time.
Massachusetts Citizens for Life is proud to co-sponsor the Massachusetts-area 40 Days for Life Campaign. Here, you can find more information on local events in your communities and JOIN events in Boston, Springfield, and other cities. We hope you choose to support the important work of 40 Days for Life by taking peaceful and concrete steps to bring about the end of abortion.
Director's note: 40 Days began as a religious campaign, and we invite all of our religious members to join on that basis. But the act of abortion is a human rights issue, not a religious one. Many of our secular advocates also participate, and we encourage everyone and anyone to follow their passionate example of outreach and vigil, with or without prayer, during a 40 Days Campaign.
We also spend an enormous amount of time and resource in recruiting, promoting, and facilitating events during the 40 Days Campaign. Consider supporting our efforts. Planned Parenthood's own statistics show that while even 1 person outside a clinic can cause their "no-show rate" to jump 75%. That's a lot of lives saved. And you can't put a dollar price on that. A $100 donation lets us print enough pregnancy resource cards for 3 weeks. $50 could supply us with the means to bus or carpool more distant members into the city to stand vigil.
Any amount will increase the lives we save and the members able to join in.
Tax-deductible donations can be made here.