2017 Massachusetts Citizens for Life Youth Summer Academy
Youth Summer Academy is an immersive experience for high school students who are training to be pro-life leaders today. It is designed to inspire young people to be persuasive and compassionate voices for life.
The goal of these sessions is to form and engage high school students as workers in the pro-life movement. More specifically and immediately, we intend these students to become Ambassadors of MCFL Life in their respective schools, churches, or homeschooling communities during the 2017-2018 school year, both as a leaven and liaison in their respective pro-life clubs.
- So that the students will get the most out of the program, we will limit participation to 25 students.
- So that we may provide a thorough formation, our preference is for students who can and will commit to attending all, or at least most, of the sessions.
- In view of our goal of having “ambassadors” during the 2017-2018 school year, our preference is for students who will still be in high school next year.
- An award certificate will be conferred during the last session, which will also serve as a “commissioning ceremony” for these MCFL Life Ambassadors.
In order to present a thorough overview of the main life issues, the pro-life movement, and the various ways that these students can and should get involved, we will hold six weekly sessions. With the exception of the last, sessions will normally consist of a 45-minute expert presentation of content, and a 45-minute interactive workshop, with 30 minutes allotted at the beginning for informal socializing over pizza and soft drinks.
Location: St Mary Parish Center, 392 Hanover Street, Hanover
Date: Wednesdays, July 12 – Aug 16, 2017
Duration: 2 Hours (3 Hours for the last sessions)
Time: 6pm to 8pm (6pm to 9pm for first and last session)
Tuition: Free for pro-life high school students
July 12: Prenatal Development
Linda Thayer, MCFL VP of Educational Affairs; Danielle Cohn, MCFL Board member who is about to have her first baby.
July 19: Abortion Aftermath and Help for Pregnant Women
– Cori Connor-Morse, “Post-abortive Experience”
– Joan Bailey, Director of Friends of the Unborn, “Help for Women Before and After Their Babies are Born”
July 26: Legal and Legislative Situation
– Henry Luthin, Esq, “What Actually Did the Roe v Wade Supreme Court Decision Do?”
– State Representative David DeCoste (invited) “The Legislative Process in Massachusetts”
Students are introduced to current MCFL legislation, learn and practice lobbying skills
– Mark Rollo, MD “Euthanaisa, Doctor Prescribed Suicide: Medical, Ethical, and Legal Issues”
– Isabelle Germino, winner of the 2016 MCFL Oratory Contest, “What Students Can Do with Their Pro-Life Training”
Aug. 9: What Other Students are Doing in Their Schools and Communities
– Thayer Wade, Harvard grad and pro-life Trump 2016 campaign worker, active in pro-life work since 7th grade, and other pro-life young people on what they’re doing in their schools
– Summer Academy student presentations:
– Commissioning of the new Pro-Life Ambassadors
– Showing of the movie “October Baby“.
Today will last until 8:30 and is open to families and the general public.