2016 House, Senate and Governor’s Council Candidates
Update: Stay tuned for our General Election Voters Guide in the coming days. Sign up for our email list in order to be the first to receive news of the guide when it’s available.
News and Statements
- MCFL State PAC Endorsements for State Senate
- MCFL State PAC Endorses Rich Baker for Governor’s Council
Click the links below to see the ratings of candidates for the state legislature and governor’s council in the general election set for November 8, 2016.
CLICK HERE for the HOUSE Candidates (Coming Soon)
CLICK HERE for the SENATE Candidates
CLICK HERE for the GOVERNOR’S COUNCIL Candidates (Coming Soon)
Click the links below to see the ratings of candidates for the state legislature in the primary election on September 8, 2016.
The MCFL State Political Action Committee has also released its list of endorsements and recommendations for the Primary races.
MCFL 2016 Candidate Survey
The following survey was sent out to all the candidates in the various House and Senate races. The numbered questions correspond to the numbers in the guides linked above.
Massachusetts Citizens for Life (MCFL) believes that unborn children should be protected by law, and that abortion should be permitted only when necessary to prevent the death of the mother. Under what circumstances, if any, do you believe that abortion should be legal?
- (a) Only to prevent the death of the mother [MCFL’s position].
- (b) To prevent the mother’s death, in cases of incest committed against a minor, and in reported cases of forcible rape.
- (c) Other (with explanation).
In the following questions, a “Yes” response indicates agreement with the position of MCFL.
- Would you vote for A Women’s Right to Know Act (“Laura’s Law”), which would offer a woman facts about abortion and childbirth, provide a 24-hour “reflection period”, and include an option to see an ultrasound of her unborn child prior to an abortion?
- Would you vote for a law which makes the unborn child a second victim when a crime is committed against a pregnant woman, similar to the laws in 39 other states?
- Since the federal partial-birth abortion ban only prohibits the procedure by a physician “in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce,” would you vote for legislation that bans partial-borth abortion generally in Massachusetts?
- Would you vote for the Born-Alive Survivors Protection Bill, which would require that a baby born alive during an abortion must be afforded the “same degree” of care that would apply “to any other child born alive at the same gestational age,” including transportation to a hospital?
- Would you vote for the Pain-Capable Child Protection Bill, which would protect unborn children who are capable of feeling pain, defined in the bill as beginning at twenty-week fetal age. (Note: under the alternate dating system used by obstetrician-gynecologists and abortion providers, twenty–week fetal age equals Twenty-two–week fetal age.)
- Would you vote for the Dismemberment Abortion Ban Bill, which defines “dismemberment abortion” as “knowingly dismembering a living, unborn child and extracting such unborn child one piece at a time from the uterus through the use of clamps, grasping forceps, tongs, scissors, or similar instruments that, through the convergence of two rigid levers, slice, crush or grasp a portion of the unborn child’s body in order to cut or rip it off….”?
- Would you vote for legislation that requires all non-hospital facilities performing more than ten (10) abortions a year to be licensed as “clinics” and inspected at least every two years by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health? Every woman in Massachusetts is within one hour of a licensed hospital or clinic, so this bill would not limit access; it would try to upgrade safety standards of unlicensed facilities.
- Would you vote for legislation requiring that prenatal development and prenatal care be taught as part of all Health and Wellness education classes in public high schools of the Commonwealth?
- Would you vote for legislation that would require school and school-based clinic personnel to abide by the Parental Consent Law, M.G.L. ch. 112, §12S?
- Are you opposed to Doctor-Prescribed Suicide, a.k.a. “Death with Dignity,” which is opposed by the Massachusetts Medical Society, disability, and minority groups across the Commonwealth and was defeated at the ballot in 2012?